Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Puzzle 525: Artist's Block 10

As much as I enjoy posting 31x45 puzzles to celebrate milestones (because multiples of 25 are clearly milestones), I'm running out of things to say about them. Hopefully I'll have more to say about my next 31x45 puzzle. :)

Well, I guess I'll say this, since some people seem not to notice when I try to say it unobtrusively in a prefix to the comment form: do not leave a comment claiming a puzzle has multiple solutions unless you can either explain why in a manner that doesn't entirely spoil the puzzle for future readers, or accompany said comment with an e-mail explaining the ambiguity even more uncertainly. While I have made mistakes before when I am overly confident in my own logic, this particular puzzle was test-solved by two individuals who would have undoubtedly noticed such an error. Additionally, please don't spoil what results from shading in the areas with black dots; I would prefer to discuss that via e-mail.

On a completely unrelated note, Sudoku fans may be interested in this Advent calendar David Millar's been working on.
Rules of Artist's Block
(click to enlarge)

9 comments

Jonah said...

Two comments, hopefully neither of them spoilery:

1) I can't believe it worked!

2) This is one of my favorite puzzle types, but I've always been a little annoyed that one could theoretically make several mistakes and still get the same basic final image. This puzzle addresses that issue nicely.

Jay said...

Wow, as far as logic puzzles go this is definitely one of the more challenging.

Stumbler's Rider said...

I really like the idea here, as well as the execution. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to verify my solution. I'm not sure what else I can say without spoiling anything.

Grant Fikes said...

Stumbler's Rider: You can e-mail me, and I'll help you verify your solution. :)

Anonymous said...

Great puzzle. I suck at this type, but learned a bit along the way. Liked some of the more novel shaped blocks.

I too am not sure how to take this to the next level due to its size and lack of proper devicesm but suspect that I got the right answer - although O remain confused as to the top portion's meaning.

Thanks.

TheSubro

garzahd said...

If you've solved the puzzle in Paint or a similar graphic editor, need your solution verified, and lack the tools to do so:

1) Make a backup of your image
2) Try to "clean up" your image as much as possible - try to erase or floodfill away unused dotted lines, eliminate any lines you might have used to separate regions. Make sure you are only using black and white and not other colors.
3) Crop off the top portion, add a few boxes worth of whitespace on all sides
4) Scale the image to about 10%, this will have the side effect of further cleaning it up
5) Google for "online reader" plus the part of the image you cropped off
6) Upload your scaled image to the first site that comes up.

Jonah said...

@garzahd: For the record, I didn't clean up my image at all and I still had no trouble. The black areas were colored a medium shade of gray and there were bright orange lines three pixels wide separating my regions, but "it" worked correctly regardless.

Agreed with TheSubro about cool region shapes. I was convinced for the longest time that I'd made a mistake in the mid-upper-left before I figured out what you'd done.

Adam said...

Well done!

Pavel said...

I finally got around to finishing this puzzle, after many scattered bedtimes devoted to it. I recognized quite early on what it was going to be, so I was *really* curious as to what the fine details would lead to. Imagine my disappointment, then, when the result was kind of vanilla. I was hoping for something special, something that acknowledged the effort I'd gone to in solving it all the way to the end! Sigh. A missed opportunity, sir! Oh, well: I still enjoyed the solve, so I shouldn't complain. Thanks!

Blog Archive