Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Monday Mutant 77: Proof of Quilt / Battleships

Ten ships (as indicated below the grid: one four-cell ship, two three-cell ships, three two-cell ships, and four one-cell ships) are hidden in the grid. The ships may be rotated from the orientations shown (without changing the numbers), but may not overlap or occupy cells which share a corner or an edge. A number to the right of a row or below a column indicates how many cells in that row or column are occupied by ships. These ships also function as black cells in a Proof of Quilt puzzle, and the numbers on some of the ship segments function as they normally would in such a puzzle. None of the black cells already present in the grid are part of the ships. Locate the ships and solve the Proof of Quilt puzzle.
This could be my strangest Monday Mutant in a long time.

4 comments

devjoe said...

Now I'm looking forward to the other Proof of Quilt/Battleships mutation where the ships live inside the unshaded rectangles of the quilt rather than being unplaced black squares.

cyrebjr said...

I "solved" the puzzle without noticing the submarine clues. When I saw them and went at the puzzle again, I found that I'd skipped a step at the very end (somehow not picking the wrong answer).
This was a fun puzzle, so I hope to see that last step in a more important role.

Anonymous said...

Fun. Though placing the 1 ships was a bit fiddly -- I may have missed some logic there. Is this what constructing Proof of Quilt puzzles feels like?

Cheers
Rob

Tyler said...

Found this one pretty difficult. Also had trouble placing the last submarines, but I enjoyed how the 2's worked.

Blog Archive