Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Puzzle 500: Polyominous 48

In lieu of a Monday Mutant, I present to you. . . puzzle 500! You thought Fillomino-Fillia was my magnum opus? Think again! At 64x50, this is my largest puzzle to date! Needless to say, it took an incredible amount of time to construct this beauty. (Speaking of time, Back to the Future is an awesome trilogy, as I have discovered in recent weeks.) I have truly come a long way since puzzle 1.

Now, wait a minute. Some of you may be wondering why I never posted a 31x45 Polyominous as one of my previous giants. Well, the answer is simple: in Nikoli's publications, a Polyominous the Giant is 23x37, and my arbitrary adherence to Nikoli's standards for puzzles in the numbered "puzzles" series (as opposed to Monday Mutants et al.) means I only post puzzle genres Nikoli's made, in sizes Nikoli's made. 23x37 is hardly an adequate size for a celebration on this blog, don't you think? However, Nikoli has published 64x50 Fillomino puzzles on at least three occasions, including in volumes 123 and 134 of Puzzle Communication Nikoli, and in a now out-of-print Puzzle the Giants volume, making that size completely fair game.

Special thanks to Thomas Snyder, who set aside 1 hour, 31 minutes, and 45 seconds of his time to make sure this puzzle had a unique solution before it was posted here. I am incredibly honored to have the respect of such an amazing constructor and solver. Not everyone has the privilege of being able to send Thomas Snyder a puzzle and getting the time of day from him, much less his opinion on it. (In fact, I believe some of the people who ended up being ripped to shreds on Grant's Review Corner contacted him first. . .)

Edit: Okay, apparently, Blogger and Picasa handle images taller or wider than 1600 pixels in ways I don't like for the purposes of this post. I was able to find a way to link to the full 1797x1405 version of the picture, but you might be asked to download it instead of being able to view it in your browser. A small sacrifice, but it works.
(click to enlarge)

14 comments

Jonah said...

Is it just me or is the full-sized version still a bit too small? I'm getting some anti-aliasing that makes the flood tool not work.

Grant Fikes said...

Jonah: Edited. Man, I've learned something about Blogger today. >.>

cyrebjr said...

HAAhahahahaha! I haven't started on #500 yet, but I see what you did w.r.t. #1.

Scott said...

Took me 3-4 hours (over 3 days). Logic breaks on a puzzle this size are heartstopping :|.

Anonymous said...

Very nice.

chaoticiak492 said...

You might want to upload the image in some image hosting and link it from this blog.

In case my visible name is not chaotic_iak, I'm chaotic_iak, and I hate OpenID that disallows screen names.

Grant Fikes said...

chaotic_iak: I very much considered that, but decided I wanted the image hosted by Google's Picasa, which hosts images for Blogger blogs, since it's very reliable and stuff.

Jonah said...

Finally finished this over four days. Whew. My image editor slows to a crawl on puzzles of this size, but it was worth it. Congrats on puzzle #500!

Anonymous said...

Well... that took a while... thanks for the HOURS of fun.

-Allen

Jeff said...

This puzzle was awesome! Thank you very much for posting it.

araya said...

Very nice! My wife saw me working on this behemoth, now she's obsessed with it :-) Thanks for the puzzles.

Russ Williams said...

Argh - I spent an afternoon on it, 90% finished, and discovered I have a contradiction somehow... Still, it was fun exploring it even if I didn't finish correctly. I like these Polyominous puzzles!

I got suspicious when I had a (totally different) region that seemed to have 2 possible solutions... I suppose that implies I somehow went deeply awry...

zotmeister said...

And another astounding thing I missed, apparently! Congrats on constructing such a thing. I look forward to solving it, which will likely occur sometime in late 2014 the way things are going for me right now... - ZM

Grant Fikes said...

Jon Michelson wanted me to share this comment on his behalf:

Almost two years since you posted it, and this gi-normous Polyominous #48 is still bringing torturous pleasure. Since you posted Snyder's time, I of course had to compare, so I timed myself. 4+ hours later: 75% "done", but MISTAKE ... one that I couldn't discern. Arghh. So, I started the puzzle and the clock over. Now, 5 hours, 18 minutes, 41 seconds later, done! All that was over the course of a week or so. Now, I can get back to my life. Thanks for the fun distractions that your puzzles continuously provide. And, excellent, challenging, and beautiful construction on #500 ... even if my comment is about two years late.

Blog Archive