Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Logicsmith Exhibition 5: Polyominous (VOTING TIME!)

Four weeks ago, I challenged my readers to construct a 10x10 Polyominous puzzle under very specific restrictions, offering a prize to the constructor whose puzzle is voted the best by my readers afterwards. A whopping 19 other readers managed to do so, giving you 20 candidates to choose from!

Warning: there are 20 images contained in this blog post!

The 20 puzzles are presented in random order below. To encourage readers to vote honestly for the puzzles they like the most, and not merely for the author they like the most, I have withheld all of the authors' names. Please take a look at them, solve them, and email me (glmathgrant[at]gmail[dot]com) up to four puzzles for which you'd like to cast your vote. In order to encourage the constructors to participate in the voting, constructors are allowed to cast up to five votes, and may vote for their own puzzle if (and only if) they choose to use all five votes.


Because of this unprecedented level of response, I imagine that it would take a diligent reader much longer to solve and evaluate them all. . . so I have extended the voting period from the planned four weeks to eight weeks! You will have until September 29, 2011 to send in your votes; the day after that, the winner will be announced. If there is a tie, I shall cast the deciding vote. Note that one of the puzzles above is mine; if my puzzle ends up being the most popular, then I will receive a gigantic ego boost, but I am ineligible to win any other prize from this contest.

17 comments

rob said...

Wow, awesome turn-out. The extra vote is a much nicer way of saying "you can't vote for yourself"!

I'm a bit worried the method of vote will mean the less amazing puzzles will get barely any votes, compared to say awarding points or ranking all puzzles.

I've made a PDF of all puzzles: http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/vollmert/files/polyminous.pdf

rob said...

Maybe my worry is unfounded: Of the 10 I've solved so far, there is not one that is not amazing. It will be really hard to choose.

Grant Fikes said...

rob: Just to make sure you understand the rules, you are allowed to vote for yourself if you use all of your votes. This is intended to give constructors incentive to vote; I could have been even more strict and said "if you don't vote, you're disqualified", but I didn't feel like it.

Anonymous said...

Woah. There are some *seriously* good puzzles here! I look forward to eventually finding out who is responsible for what!

Tom.C

Anuraag Sahay said...

I like atleast 1+4 of these puzzles ;) haha it takes a mammoth effort solving all of those when you know that you are going to VOTE FOR those,having crafted one of those ! I see some interesting and expressive patterns.

Paul K said...

I can't imagine trying to assess these over a long period of time. I kept notes as I went and even with my "harsh and unreasonable grader" hat on, I still ended up with seven favorites among the 19. I guess I'll let 'em sit for a bit, then make a swift and arbitrary decision.

L'ours said...

Solved the whole set during the night, but just as Paul K, I still have too many favorites. I guess I will have to solve them again to decide.
Then it will be long to wait until the end of september...

Bram said...

Do the votes we cast count the same or is there some ranking involved?

Grant Fikes said...

Bram: All of the votes count the same, yes. Every single one of your votes counts as one vote.

chaotic_iak said...

"If there is a tie, I shall cast the deciding vote. Note that one of the puzzles above is mine; if my puzzle ends up being the most popular, then I will receive a gigantic ego boost, but I am ineligible to win any other prize from this contest."

So, if your puzzle is tied with someone else, you always win?

Grant Fikes said...

chaotic_iak: The prize will be awarded as though my puzzle weren't on the ballot. If my puzzle proves to be the most popular, then the prize will be awarded to the second most popular puzzle. If my puzzle is tied for most popular, then I must cast my tie-breaking vote for a puzzle which isn't mine.

Tyler said...

I'm finding a few of these absolutely impenetrable. Judging by the other comments, I'm just being thick.

Grant Fikes said...

Tyler: Believe it or not, some of these puzzles are harder than the others. Just because you're not solving them as quickly as some of the Fillomino veterans who have already voted doesn't make you thick. :)

Anuraag Sahay said...

Correct.I tried only two,picking them intuitively.One of those was tricky.It stretches you beyond u thought you would have to,nice use of math there.i really liked how the endgame resolved.

Russ Williams said...

This is really cool. Such variety in the starting arrangements! It really has a huge impact on how one solves the puzzle.

I have solved about half so far, keeping notes as I go, and I also noticed some variation in the solving times (so far the longest took about 10x as long as the shortest!).

But I assume our votes are not necessarily supposed to imply difficulty or solving time, but a more subjective assessment of how much we enjoyed / admired / had fun with them (independent of whether we solved them quickly or slowly) ... right?

Grant Fikes said...

Russ Williams: Correct. I want readers to vote for the puzzles they like the most, based on whatever criteria affect that particular reader's enjoyment of the puzzle.

zotmeister said...

DAMN IT! I'd been bugging you and bugging you to do another one of these, and when you finally do, I never hear about it until it's over! Stupid DDoS attacks on LiveJournal! I am SO pissed off right now. - ZM

Blog Archive