Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Logicsmith Exhibition 1: Polyominous (RESULTS!)

Two weeks ago, I invited my readers to craft a Polyominous puzzle with the givens in a particular arrangement for my first Logicsmith Exhibition. The response was. . . abysmal. I mean, maybe it's because my blog doesn't have a million billion readers, but I promoted this thing on The Grey Labyrinth forum, and I still only got one other valid puzzle submission, from Dave Stigant. Did I make the aesthetic too hard to work with? Was the grid too big? Did I underpromote? Is logicsmithing simply a rarer talent than I had hoped? I honestly do not know. Readers, please give me feedback as a comment on this post! I want to have another Logicsmith Exhibition at some point, so I would like to know what I should do differently. In the meanwhile, here are both of the puzzles:
dstigant's puzzle:mathgrant's puzzle:
For better or worse, the puzzles are very stylistically different. Honestly, I prefer mine, because it has more of a Nikoli flavor, but I'm probably biased. ;) But yeah. . . there we go. Those are the results.

7 comments

zotmeister said...

I was going to submit for this, but I sort of... well... forgot. Actually, I have a half-complete puzzle. I simply neglected to finish it off yesterday. I'll be sure to do that today, and I promise I'll do it before I try to solve either of these. I'll send it to you, and put it on my blog within a week (I swear my journal isn't dead). You can post it too if you want. - ZM

Anonymous said...

Yes, to be a good logicsmith is a rare talent. Yes, you underpromoted it. Yes, the community here (and at the Grey Labyrinth) is far too small to be successful. If you are in luck a few percent of your readers think about participation, and only a few of them are successful.

How many puzzles do you post, and how many comments do you receive? How many links or Diggs du you get?

BTW: Your best friend is Google. I subscriberd Google Alerts for "logic puzzles" and every single of your posts here gets announced :-)

~ÔttÔ~

Grant Fikes said...

Zotmeister: Go right on ahead. Maybe next time I have one of these, I'll just have a longer deadline. Seeing one of your puzzles will be EXTREMELY awesome, as always. :)

Otto: The Grey Labyrinth is the largest puzzle community of which I am currently a member. Perhaps I do need to find a larger one. That'd help with blog promotion, too.

As of right now, my blog's been operational for three months; I have posted 74 puzzles and have 27 comments (either from other people, or by myself in response to other people). I don't know anything about links or Diggs, or even what the frigging crap Digg is, or how I'm supposed to take advantage of it.

My best friend is Google? Considering that Blogspot is owned by Google, that is quite a relief! :p

Craig K said...

I'll get you a belated entry... eventually (though probably soon). (Me starting on constructing my puzzle on October 1st probably didn't help.)

Until you get some momentum behind this idea, smaller grids are probably better, I think, as they will allow people to construct their puzzles more impulsively.

Grant Fikes said...

Craig K.: Hey, I have no problem with belated entries. They're half as official, but that doesn't make them inferior! :) And I will definitely use smaller grids next time! :)

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Solving puzzles is different from creating them. I think that, in general, it's harder to create puzzles (good ones, at least) than it is to solve them, especially when you want to ensure that there is one and only one solution. I've never really tried to create any logic puzzles like these. I think the the previous suggestion was good, to use smaller sized boards to encourage more responses. That would probably help people with less experience creating puzzles, too.

P.S. -- The previous comment was mine, but I wanted it to be under a different account than it was, so I deleted it and reposted it.

Blog Archive