Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Monday Mutant 7: Blackbarrier Jam (multiples of 3)

Monday Mutants is a series in which I will attempt to experiment with "mutant" puzzles. These could be existing puzzle types with an unusual change in the rules, hybrids combining elements from multiple puzzle types, or puzzle types neither invented nor popularized by Nikoli.
In this Blackbarrier Jam puzzle, only multiples of 3 are shown. Circles without a number represent a number that isn't a multiple of 3. The rules are otherwise unchanged.

9 comments

David Millar said...

Thanks for the challenge. I enjoyed having the missing numbers. More please.

Jack said...

Hmm... I'm not getting a unique solution. Specifically I think I have solutions where the bottom right open circle is either a 13 OR a 16, and with two different ways of working the 6 at top right. I could be wrong, but things seem to check out...

Grant Fikes said...

Jack: the solution is unique. Are you sure you're not miscounting things or something?

cyrebjr said...

(Note: this might be a double comment. Sorry in advance.)

Jack, without being able to discuss solution details, I can't be sure I'm helping. I think I can give you this, though: the blank in row 7 is neither 9 nor 12.

Jack said...

Nah, I had it as a 10 ... I'll look at it again. Sigh.

TheSubro said...

Nice little diversion. It is a unique solution. Ifound the top left ending to be funny as I was getting all ready to send a holier than thou note about lack of singularity but it played out very cutely. Well done. Thanks.

Ken

Blaine said...

If I'm right, the missing numbers added to the number of black squares is 75.

I'd never solved these types of puzzles, so I've been going through your prior posts.

Grant Fikes said...

"If I'm right, the missing numbers added to the number of black squares is 75."

I've checked, and it seems that you are wrong. :[ Thanks for the multitude of comments you've left, though. :)

Blaine said...

Drat, off by one in my addition. I meant 74! :-)

Blog Archive