Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Monday Mutant 9: Polyominous (odd/even)

Monday Mutants is a series in which I will attempt to experiment with "mutant" puzzles. These could be existing puzzle types with an unusual change in the rules, hybrids combining elements from multiple puzzle types, or puzzle types neither invented nor popularized by Nikoli.
In this Polyominous puzzle, when the entire puzzle is filled with numbers, the darker shaded cells may only contain even numbers, and the lighter shaded cells may only contain odd numbers. The rules are otherwise unchanged.

7 comments

Jonah said...

Fun and pretty, but not very difficult, since the coloring partitioned the grid in such a way that different regions couldn't possible affect each other.

Grant Fikes said...

It is a necessary consequence of the rules that the puzzle will be partitioned into several disjoint puzzles. This is why I decided to make the puzzle 10x18 instead of the usual 10x10.

To be honest, the main reason I composed this puzzle was because I saw this puzzle, and thought I could do one better. :)

Jonah said...

Heh. Yes, this is certainly an improvement.

Blaine said...

I'm also glad you made the regions bigger than that other example. I think odd-even Sudoku suffers a similar problem of segmenting the puzzling into disjoint regions that have no influence on the other.

At least your version had some interesting new logic to figure out. I especially liked figuring out the '9'.

Anonymous said...

Fun (if easy) puzzle with an excellent eye-catching design - just the sort of puzzle to hook in the casual solver!

Tom.C

TheSubro said...

Great variation. Didnt think a thing about it at first glance. The little nuances of the variation make it a fun diversion.

Thanks.

Ken

Grant Fikes said...

The link I posted in my first comment seems to be broken now; for the benefit of future readers of these comments, the puzzle referred to is at http://www.sachsentext.de/en/node/551 . (Blogger doesn't let you edit comments; if I could, I'd simply do that.)

Blog Archive