Support charity, get puzzles!
Patron Puzzles for Philanthropy

Monday Mutant 8: Pearls of Wisdom (crosslink)

Monday Mutants is a series in which I will attempt to experiment with "mutant" puzzles. These could be existing puzzle types with an unusual change in the rules, hybrids combining elements from multiple puzzle types, or puzzle types neither invented nor popularized by Nikoli.
In this Pearls of Wisdom puzzle, the loop may pass through a cell twice, but only if the loop goes straight through that cell both times, once horizontally and once vertically. If the loop passes through a white pearl twice, then it must obey the normal rules (by turning at one or both of the adjacent cells in the loop) both times. The rules are otherwise unchanged.

3 comments

Jonah said...

Quite fun. I found this one really challenging, because it wasn't obvious at first which solving techniques from the traditional puzzles I had to abandon. I had to start over a couple times after I found myself falling into old habits.

Blaine said...

Many rules still apply (the black circles for example), but where I would previously assume a region was unreachable, you could now have part of the loop extending in. I made one mistake which made two loops right at the end, but then corrected it by "inverting" part of the loop. I definitely had to flip my brain from the usual patterns of solving.

To check the solution, the number of times the loop crosses added to the number of untouched squares is a palindrome.

TheSubro said...

Great variation! Thanks.

Ken

Blog Archive