Kevin's Puzzles at Home Season 5, Episode 5: The Concise Cinema Critic

PREVIOUS EPISODES
Introduction (what these puzzles are and why they're called "Kevin's Puzzles at Home Season 5"): click here
Episode 1 (Veg Out): puzzle PDF, hint PDF
* 20 people solved this within the first week for 50 points apiece; 2 people solved it later for 25 points.
Episode 2 (Baseball Baffler): puzzle PDF, hint PDF
* 20 people solved this within the first week for 50 points apiece; 2 people solved it later for 25 points.
Episode 3 (Musical Arrangement): puzzle PDF, hint PDF
* 20 people solved this within the first week for 50 points apiece; 0 people solved it later for 25 points.
Episode 4 (The Name Game): puzzle PDF, hint PDF (new!)
* 17 people solved this within the first week for 50 points apiece.
 
The total number of points scored is 3950. Thus, the current money pool for the Food Bank for Larimer County is $39.50. Four anonymous benefactors have agreed to match this donation, meaning that the Food Bank for Larimer County will actually receive $197.50. If you haven't already, you may solve the above puzzles for 25 points each, possibly with the aid of the hint.

KEVIN’S PUZZLES AT HOME
SEASON 5, EPISODE 5:
THE CONCISE CINEMA CRITIC
When it comes to reviewing his favorite (and least favorite) films, Kevin likes to keep things brief.
“I didn’t laugh even once at this 1984 ‘comedy’ about a team fighting to rid New York City of paranormal phenomena. I give it 2 out of 12.”
“This 1991 film starring Robin Williams as Peter Pan and Dustin Hoffman as the titular captain is underrated. I give it 3 out of 4.”
“I can sum up this 1942 Humphrey Bogart classic in 5 words: ‘Here’s looking at you, kid.’ I give it 8 out of 10.”
“This 2013 Disney flick has ‘Let It Go’ stuck in my head. Again. I give it 5 out of 6.”
“This 1980 comedy about the Bushwood Country Club is okay, but not even Bill Murray can make golf exciting. I give it 5 out of 10.”
“As you would probably expect about a movie named after a gambling establishment, this 1995 Martin Scorsese classic takes place in Las Vegas. I give it 4 out of 6.”
“I’m not a deer, but I still couldn’t help but cry at the scene in this 1942 film in which the title character’s mother gets shot. I give it 4 out of 5.”
“If you can’t afford a trip to Paris, the next best thing is this 2007 animated flick about a rodent chef named Remy. I give it 9 out of 11.”
“Too many people got unfair views about sharks from this 1975 Spielberg flick. I give it 2 out of 4.”
“All the dreams within dreams within dreams in this 2010 film starring Leonardo DiCaprio broke my brain, but after multiple viewings, Christopher Nolan’s genius truly showed. I give it 9 out of 9.”
“This 1976 film starring Sylvester Stallone as a boxer is one of the better sports movies I’ve ever seen. I give it 4 out of 5.”
“‘My Heart Will Go On’? More like this mediocre 1997 film will go on, and on, and on, and freaking on! When will the ship sink already and end my suffering? I give it 3 out of 7.”
“Even when I’m watching it on October 31, this 1978 horror film starring Jamie Lee Curtis fails to entertain me. I give it 1 out of 9.”
“Despite the title, I found this 2000 film directed by Christopher Nolan forgettable. I give it 2 out of 7.”
“This 2001 film in which Mike Myers voices an ogre is probably the perfect film. I give it 5 out of 5.”
“Michael Keaton does an incredible job playing the titular ‘freelance bio-exorcist’ in this 1988 horror comedy directed by the inimitable Tim Burton. I give it 9 out of 11.”
“Mara Wilson, in my eyes, will always be synonymous with the telekinetic title character of this 1996 movie based on a Roald Dahl book. I give it 6 out of 7.”
“This 2005 animated movie tells the story of New York City zoo animals who are shipped off to an island nation off the coast of Africa. I give it 7 out of 10.”

(This illustration by Tintinabar is not part of the puzzle.)

Submit your answer to glmathgrant[at]gmail[dot]com for 50 points, and stay tuned next week for Episode 5's hint and Episode 6's puzzle. Good luck!

Blog Archive